Monday, 27 April 2009

I have met with Samantha who was my lecturer in Tourism Planning and Policy. The reason for the appointment with her was because I am thinking of analysing AUH's tourism strategy. Sam gave me the idea of comparing Dubai and AUH. I could interview eight people from both destination's stakeholders. I would first compare both strategies and identify similarities and differences, and then ask those stakeholders what they think is a better way. The problems I will face are (1) to get the tourism strategies, (2) to find willing interviewees, and (3) to find time to travel to the UAE. But on the whole I think this sounds very interesting. To include the financial crisis related to the AUH' s and Dubai's tourism industry, I would need to prove that there have been changes in the tourism policies since then, and which again will be very difficult to find out. I have not thought yet about my strategy how to contact key persons who would give me these information, and I would like to talk about that to my supervisor Dr. Chowne who I would meet on Wednesday, 29th April.

3 comments:

Corinna said...

I think this comparison sounds very interesting: comparing Dubai, an already established new tourism destination and the AUH which is virtually unheard of as a tourist destination. Although as you mentioned, finding willing participants can be tricky and I fear that this will also occur when I try to contact various stakeholders for my dissertation.

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for you to indicate the new direction you might be charting but it seems you are still fine tuning your strategy. I will therefore wait a while longer before adding any academic comment. All things considered, I am certain that whatever you decide to do, will be well structured and earn you the good grade you continue to work hard for. I am rooting for you, dear child!!!

Anonymous said...

Indira, having made the cultural quarters of Saadiyat Island the focus of your dissertation, hence your research proposal, you should now be more confident about the direction of your research. As I have previously indicated, there is a lot of material which I have found quite relevant and useful, e.g.Bhabha, H. (1994), The Location of Culture. Alan Bryman's Book on Research Methods, Mick Finn's Book on Tourism and Leisure Research Methods, John Cresswell's Book on Research Design and Laura Jane Smith's Book on Heritage are books which I have recently bought, and reckon will help further the refining process for your work so it becomes more manageable. There are a few journals you can access via the portal as well. As for what paradigms (or approach) to go into, you should read up on the positivist,critical theory and interpretative. I think you should also clarify with your supervisor what he expects at this level, same as I would mine, so we do not go above our heads. Once methodological considerations are taken care of, the question of interviews, etc should be addressed. Again, our supervisors need to indicate direction. Well, I still need to define my proposed time-line and wrap up my literature review. My head feels like it is spinning! I wish you God's speed and good success. We will continue to speak by telephone.